Accepting Applications for Spring 2018 Internship
Gambel Communications is a public relations agency specializing in strategy, media and community relations, issue management, social media and special events. Founded by Betsie Gambel, a 30-year plus veteran of the industry, Gambel Communications is a new kind of communications firm. Its mantra is to forge relationships and partnerships–with clients; complementary industries; and public, private and non-profit sectors–through traditional media, networking/grassroots initiatives and social media. The Gambel Communications team prides itself in being active in the community, not only to feel the pulse of the market, but also to continue to expand its network on behalf of its clients.
The role of a public relations intern is to provide assistance to the public relations staff in the day-to-day management of client accounts, while gaining knowledge of the public relations field. Interns work directly with the account team managing client plans, but are also given individual projects from which they can learn and develop their skill set. This hands-on approach allows interns to build their resume and portfolios.
As the activities of a PR professional varies daily, hourly and even by the minute, intern activities will include some research, account assistance, design work, social media engagement, media relations and office administrative duties.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist communications strategists with account services
- Manage select community projects and pro bono accounts
- Assist with new business presentations through research, team briefings and preparation of proposal packets
- Oversee Gambel Communications’ social media strategy and post to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn, as needed
- Manage Gambel Newsletter blogs, ensure deadlines are met, edit articles and post to Gambel Communications’ site
- Contribute to Gambel Communications’ website, as needed
- Design creative materials using Adobe Suite, as necessary
- Assist the communications coordinator, handing Gambel Communications as a client
- Provide internal administrative support including internal communications, office errands and vendor management
- Prepare for meetings including scheduling, printing materials, setting up board room, etc.
- Maintain contact and media lists
- Assist with office project and office activities.
- Assist with drafting and submitting award nominations
- Attend networking events
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Maintain and update contact database
Gambel Communications’ internship program is a three-month hands-on experience aimed at developing the core concepts and strategies needed to excel in an entry-level public relations position. Gambel Communications prides itself on offering a competitive intern opportunity with real client experience that will set aspiring professionals apart from their peers entering the public relations field. At the completion of the internship, the intern will receive a formal approved evaluation including portfolio review and exit interview. Recommendations and referrals will be granted as merited.
The ideal intern is a public relations senior or recent graduate with excellent organizational and time management skills who can thrive in a fast-paced environment, while enjoying the rewards of professional development. The internship program is flexible to work around school and work schedules, but the candidate must be available a minimum of 25 hours per week. Paid internships are available to individuals not receiving course credit. Any approved expenses incurred are reimbursed monthly.
If you are interested in joining the Gambel Communications team, please send your cover letter, resume and availability to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, November 3 at 5:00pm.